Friday, April 8, 2011

Our Home

I have decided that the following is true for me.

If one has a small business run out of the home, they can also be a:
1. stay at home mom or
2. stay at home maid
But not both. And I'm horrible at the maid part all by itself anyway.

That said, here are five things that you will almost always find in our home if you were to just happen by.
1. A craft or two or three out and in the works, sometimes for err.... weeks (yes, that's my crafts, not counting Abigails)
2. Random stuff on the stairs. These things are waiting to go upstairs to be put away. This habit, by the way, used to drive me crazy when I first met Jake and saw him doing it. It doesn't help that I'm the only one who takes things up the stairs most of time- that means I haven't trained my family members to do it yet. Novel idea!
3. Leaves on the floor. This does bother me quite a bit, but not enough to clean it up every time I see it. With a tree right outside our front door and Jake working hard all day in a job that involves leaves, they always end up in our house. And cleaning them up right away doesn't help because they'll be back a day later at most.
4. Stacks of books/papers. Either on a table somewhere or stacked crazy on a shelf. No comment.
5. Bugs in jars. Contained to the kitchen, unless one sneaks out in a forgetful girl's arms.

The other day Abigail came in from the backyard and asked if she could wash her earthworm. Just a liiittttllle bit, so they don't drown. The hopeful/excited/glee look in her face promised a crushed little girl if I said no. Ahhhh.... I think. One worm? A few drops? "Okay" I say. A few minutes later I start listening to her from the bathroom. "Hush. HUSH! no." Facet turns on, drip drip, turns off. "Hush!" Drip, drip. I start thinking this is something I should see, so I head over to the bathroom to see not one, but 4 or 5 earthworms of different lengths squirming on our hand towel on the floor. I did get a picture of this, but regrettably deleted it when I thought it I had put it on the computer, but hadn't. FOUND IT! It was one of those, ohmygosh how funny and wrong moments where you get the camera, take a picture, and then address how wrong their behavior was. Well the worms were clean, but not clean enough in my thoughts for the hand towel, so the towel went to be cleaned and I explained to Abigail that though it was fun to wash the worms, we weren't going to do it again.

No comments: