Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Five

Okay, so I realized almost none of my 'top five' lists were actual top fives. So decided to change it to the "Friday Five."

The five most repeated conversations in our family:

  1. me: "Abigail don't do that because you--" her (interrupting): "Why??!?" me: sigh.
  2. me: "Abigail, I don't want you to (fill in the blank)." her: "Why?" me: "Because (fill in the blank) will happen." her: "No it won't." me: "Well then, because I said so."
  3. Abigail, holding up her artwork: "Mama, isn't this beautiful?" me: "Oh yes, nice job!" her: "Why?" me: "Why what." her: "Why is it beautiful?"
  4. me: "Okay, Abigail you can (fill in the blank with something she likes to do) now!" her: "Why?" me: "Well, if you don't want to, we can certainly take it away!"
  5. me: some kind of imperative for Abigail. her, while not obeying the imperative, in ultra-whinny voice: "WwwWhhHYyy?!?!" me: "Because." her: "But you're not telling me why!!"
I sure hope she turns out smart.
And despite what I make it look like, I'm rather happy that she understands the word 'why' because I can ask her the same question and get a real answer! I'm afraid I had many a frustrating day when Abigail was smaller and did something and couldn't tell me why because she didn't understand the question. And I do enjoy answering her 'whys' when they are asked with a good attitude and with genuine curiosity!

(we went to the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville in September on the Smithsonian Magazine Free Museum Day. It was so fun!)

No comments: