Sunday, November 9, 2008

With a Limp

We have a drawer at our house that has ear plugs and golf tees in it. I think they all ended up there together because they were little things that needed keeping SOMEwhere. It sounds really weird now that I'm writing it down, but it doesn't change the fact that we have the strange drawer. The real story is that Abigail sometimes gets into this drawer and takes the tees and earplugs out to tote them around the room (since little things in general are a favorite of Abigail's, and who can really resist the temptation to squish those spongy earplugs? I think maybe she likes the challenge of trying to carry them all at once.) Yesterday I noticed that she was sticking the end of a tee into the side of her shoe, just moving it around. The day before she had stored some 'pennies' in her shoes for safekeeping, so it wasn't a surprise to see her sticking the golf tee in there. She wasn't really putting the tee all the way into her shoe but more unconsciously itching her foot while she watched a bit of Blue's Clues.
Anyway, a little while later we were downstairs and I noticed that Abigail was walking with a bit of a limp. I thought, 'That crazy kid DID put the tee in there!' I chuckled to myself and stopped her to check it out. Once I started to take off her shoe, however, Abigail starting yelling, 'No, no, no, no!' in a frantic, worried voice, on the verge of tantrum tears. By the end of her nos I had succeeded in taking off her shoe and almost any intention of having a talk about not shouting no was gone from my mind, for in her wee little shoe I found, not one golf tee, but EIGHT. And not just that, there were TWELVE earplugs too! I was laughing out loud and little Abigail was crying at the loss of her treasure. I made the poor kid put her shoe back on without the added cushion. At least she still had the sucker I had given her a little earlier, life wasn't all bad.

1 comment:

Gram said...

Even being 1300 miles away, Abigail entertains us. How sweet!