Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting

Today we all got to go vote together!


(waiting in line)


(checking out her 'I voted' sticker)

I have to say that I feel discriminated against. They let everyone who didn't have a last name starting with G or H vote right away, but the G and H-ers had to wait in a long line. What could they have against G and H-ers anyway? Is it that when signed, the letters look like guns?


G H

Who knows. I don't think it is because all of us with G and H last names came all at once. There was definitely a conspiracy going on.


(The terribly long G & H line. You can barely make out the tables at the front, where all the other voters just walked up and grabbed their ballots. I took this picture discreetly, so as to not be attacked by the lady on the far left, who already looked quite disconcerted)

You know how when you vote, you go into a little table thing with secrecy walls on the side, so no one knows who you're voting for? Well, that's not how we do it here in Alabama. I left the sign-in table with my ballot, went to sit in one of the many chairs haphazardly and closely placed around the room (realizing that I needed to find my own pen) and voted right in my lap! I don't take too great of an offense about it, I just found it comical. I'm pretty sure the guy who watched me put my ballot in the machine knows everyone I voted for too. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a savant that they were using as an exit poll person- he knows exactly how many votes there were for each candidate on the list! Maybe this was just the way they did it at my polling station and other Birmingham places are more traditional.

Truthfully, I'm thankful for the right to vote and that I really am not discriminated against! Now I just have to hope that my vote doesn't get lost on a rainy highway...

No comments: