Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Why are you doing those crazy things with your eyes?

About a week ago I got jalapeno pepper oil in my eyes. Let's not talk about that. Only, you should know that it is OIL, and it only washes off with oil cutting soap. And you should use rubbing alcohol on your hands and in your finger nails if you are ever silly enough to not use gloves or something of the sort while cutting jalapenos. Please, please do not wash your hands with regular soap and then cup a lot of water in your hands and then splash it into your eyes after fearing you may have gotten a little bit of oil near your eyes. Especially with contacts on. Hopefully, if you disregard my request, someone will be nearby and be able to pour milk into your eyes while you lean backwards over the sink. This will cut the pain slightly as you try and get the contacts out of your eyes (though you still have the oil on your fingers). But lets not talk about that.

About a week ago I got jalapeno pepper oil in my eyes. The next day I had to wear my glasses. This is never very appealing to me as I am very near-sighted and, no matter how hard you try, you can't really make the lenses that small with my prescription. Anyway, Abigail and I went to the store and she was riding in the buggy (that is southern talk for grocery basket- not a baby carriage. Don't worry, we don't call it that, it was just a good opportunity to educate non-southerners about the word). We were walking along and I was looking this way and that and Abigail all the sudden asked me, "Why are you doing those crazy things with your eyes?" "Uhh...." I said. I tried to imagine what my eyes looked like from a 45 degree angle below, through the thick part of my lenses. "I'm not doing crazy things, Mommy just has to wear her glasses today." Silence for a second while she was thinking about that. I expected her to ask why I had to wear them. Instead, she said, "You shouldn't wear those." Smiling, I told her that Daddy and I happened to agree with her, but that it was necessary today.

We also took some silly pictures that morning, I thought they kind of went with the story.

2 comments:

Gram said...

I can't believe we're both on here in the morning. Re the japs, I did that once many years ago with red chili peppers and I can't imagine how much more painful it would be with japs. Also wonder what Abigail was thinking about the glasses, but I think they're cute. XXXOOO

CHA said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post!! Sorry to hear about the jalepeno crisis but glad that you've recovered!