Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Get your free advertising here!

What does my daughter know about Dora? In the beginning, all she knew was that Dora is on a lot of little girl things (and fruit snacks and yogurt). What does she know about Disney princesses? She knows that they are on a lot of little girl things. And that they wear pretty dresses. That's all it took. Dora and Disney princesses are now near and dear to her heart.

(new princess nightgown)

What shows do we watch? Sesame Street, Winnie the Pooh, Word World. She loves these shows. However, she will choose princess over word world (or something that is just a pretty pink color) every time, even though she has never seen a princess movie. Now I know that princesses are girls, just like her, and they are pretty, but I do think that this desire and love in her is very much a product of successful advertising.

It is a little scary. I consider myself pretty keen on the marketing ploys, but I have to wonder where I have been pulled in, unawares. Also scary is Abigail's current desire for anything material. EVERY. SINGLE. THING she sets her eyes on in the store, she wants to have. If I could walk all the way into a store- just in through the doors- without having already heard a couple of pleas for something she wants in that store, I would consider it a miracle. Yes, yes, I know that this is part of her age level and hopefully is a phase, but it is also very much a product of our society, and unfortunately somewhat a product of the lifestyle she has had with us. However, I do feel like I am always saying no and it really wears me down! Abigail does have the gift of persistence, lets pray she puts it to Godly use.

Oh, and she has seen a princess movie now, at her request, Cinderella!

No comments: