Saturday, January 16, 2010

I love kids

Today Abigail was overcome by a tender moment and, leaning over to hug me, said, "Aw, mom- you're the best mom ever, I think." Wow. That was great. Makes up for all my past not-being-the-best-mom-ever moments. What were we doing? Well, having a special Dominos TV dinner, for one. She was said something silly to me and I said the same silly thing back to her. And that, ladies and gentlemen, was what put me in the best mom ever book. Unfortunately, unlike the book of life, I think the additions to this book are regularly taken out again by the people who put them in. While still hugging me, Abigail added, "And Daddy's the best daddy ever."

About a different matter Abigail later said to me, "But mom, I don't have my sad on now." In my mind's eye I briefly pictured a teenage Abigail who phrased her words like that on purpose. It made me hope I would always remember her sweet little face looking up at me, her little frame swallowed by a seemingly gigantic twin sized bed. What she meant was, "I'm not crying anymore." "Yes, Abigail" I said, "but it's bed time now, its later than you usually go to bed." She looked at the clock and, confusing digital and analog clocks, said, "It's eight o'clock? When it points to the "o" that means no?" I think she meant that eight o'clock was time to go to bed, but my child can not stand to be apart from the action, which makes going to bed seem like us telling her no. Don't worry, she can't tell time yet, but I'm impressed with what she has grasped so far!

1 comment:

Gram said...

How precious are those moments and how great you have them chronicled on the blog. You are the best Mom and Dad for Abigail. When the teenage moments come, remember the "I'll like you forever, I'll love you for always."

We love you all.